laying, laying, laying.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 7littlebirds, Nov 18, 2012.

1. 7littlebirds

7littlebirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2012
    Hi!
    I have six hens, three White Orpingtons, two Rhode Island Reds, and one Black Star. They are around 9 months old and have laid like pros all summer. But now I am really wishing that they would stop and take a rest this winter! They are supposed to right? I know it's weird because most people have such a tough time keeping them laying.
    It gets very, very cold every night here. So I leave a red heat lamp on over their perches so they will stay warm under it. (I know that is what people use to keep them laying but I thought maybe it was better since it is a lot dimmer...) They have never been through a night without a light which I think may be a mistake now.
    They live in the barn in a stall that we covered completely with heavy wire. So it is really drafty. So how can I get them to stop laying, but keep them warm and not scared?

Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    I would just keep the light on the rest of the season. They will be fine in the barn.

4. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    And most production hens lay through winter their first season and may slow down the next..and even more their third year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by