Laying leghorns

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by funonahonda, Jul 24, 2008.

1. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    What age do white leghorns start laying??

2. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    They usually lay earlier than most breeds. Some at 4 1/2 to 5 months!! They are egg machines for sure !![​IMG]

3. Javamama

Javamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    USA
    I have some too. They better be laying machines because I am not fond of them so far. Spaz out every time the see someone and take off like little roadrunners!

4. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Great egg layers, I have both brown & white prefer the brown, they will start at around 4+ months.

5. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Hey Java,
    Maybe if you put them in little cages so they can't run all over.....um...nevermind.. [​IMG]

6. Javamama

Javamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    USA
    Maybe if you put them in little cages so they can't run all over.....um...nevermind.. tongue

[​IMG]
    Actually, they are still in a small caged area. They are 4 weeks old and we are keeping them in a 10x4 chicken tractor during the day and a large brooder at night. They are always the last ones to be caught when we take them in and out. I hope they settle down.​

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Leghorns are little spazes, but I get about 6 eggs a week from each one. And that is in their second year of laying to. Nothing can catch them.. not even ground preds when they get scared and fly to the roof of the house... and cringe when a drip of rain water gets you when you walk under the eaves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by