Laying like clock work UNTIL

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momreda, Oct 20, 2009.

1. momreda

momreda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Cumberland Furnace, TN
    My girl recently started laying. She had her first egg, then skipped a day and then like clock work between 1-2 p.m. she had an egg until yesterday. She didn't have one all day and then when we went to close up the coop last night she was in the box resting I thought but this morning there was an egg. It had been there a while because it was not warm at all. I thought chickens didn't lay after 2 p.m.? Anyone else seen this?

2. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    ppfftt someone forgot to tell my leghorn that.... i've had her lay as late as 4 or 5 pm... and one of my EE's lay hers at about 6 last night....

3. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    My hens (when they were laying..long story) always layed after noon. I NEVER got an egg in the morning I dont think. Many times it was after 4 before I got any. I thought it was weird too, I am glad to know I am not the only one!

4. momreda

momreda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Cumberland Furnace, TN
    Quote:[​IMG] I guess she will just plop one out when she feels like it. It is strange though because when I walk into the coop she runs in and paces near the boxes like she is going to jump in but she doesn't, so I leave and she follows down the run as if to say where the heck are you going? Twice she got in the box while I was in there and layed.

5. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Quote:[​IMG] I guess she will just plop one out when she feels like it. It is strange though because when I walk into the coop she runs in and paces near the boxes like she is going to jump in but she doesn't, so I leave and she follows down the run as if to say where the heck are you going? Twice she got in the box while I was in there and layed.

maybe she feels safer when you're in there??
    might be an interesting experiment..

6. AmyRey

AmyRey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Mine lay all times of the day, too. From mid morning until evening.

I caught two of them laying at 6:00 and 6:30ish last week. That's only an hour before dark!

They did (as I expected) take the next day off, however.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by