Laying Mallard

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BirdbyGavin1103, Aug 11, 2013.

1. BirdbyGavin1103

BirdbyGavin1103 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2013
    Bloomsburg PA
    I'm just looking for some advice.
    History: We recently picked up a new mallard duck and a unknown drake who needed rehoming. She is about 1.5 years old and laid an infertile, no drakes of mating age present at the time, clutch at her old home this past Spring. The duck has paired up with at least one of our mallard drakes, that I know of, could be more. Now she has begun laying and has moved her laying location each time we've collected the egg, at least twice now. We did not touch the egg today as I really do not want her find a more hidden spot to lay.
    Now for my questions: If she lays again in the same spot is it a sign that she is going to nest? If it is, given the time of year and our location (North East PA) should I allow her to set? I have room for her and ducklings to come indoors if it gets too cold, but I honestly wasn't planning on this happening until Spring.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you allow her to build up a clutch, she very well may set. Whether or not you allow her to is very much your decision. If she does hatch ducklings provide her with a dry, clean coop protected from snow and wind, and she will raise them. I have had many ducks successfully raise fall broods. Good luck.

3. BirdbyGavin1103

BirdbyGavin1103 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2013
    Bloomsburg PA
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by