Laying Marans Hen Stops Laying - Diarrhea - Continues life as normal...

ChelseaDNC

In the Brooder
May 24, 2017
Hello,

I copy and pasted the questions from the guide post for this section of the forum - hopefully that helps. I am stumped.

1) What type of bird/age/weight - Marans Hen, 8 months old, 4 lbs =/- normal weight compared to everyone else.
2) What is the behavior, exactly - She went from egg every day to none over night and started having consistently loose stools.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms - 2 weeks.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms - Loose stools in other birds but less frequently.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma - None. Vent is clean and normal. Eyes and beak are clear.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation - Heat? I do have a sick silkie (coughing, gurgling) but he has been isolated from the flock, possibly to be culled. Hen in questions hasnt shown any respiratory symptoms.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all - Nature's Best Organic Feeds - Layer formula. Supplement with oyster shell and harvest delight (pumpkin seeds. mill worms, etc). Consistent diet. Eats like a pig every chance she gets.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? Runny. Green. Brown. White. Checked frequently for worms - none visible.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far - Electrolytes in water. Change bedding and wash coop frequently.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - Because she is eating, drinking, bright and active my intent is to treat at home. Primary concern is stopping/easing the diarrhea. Reestablishing a laying routine is secondary.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. - None.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. - Small elevated roost in an enclosed store-bought coop. Only sleeps in it. Free ranges during the day. Pine shavings used for bedding.

Instead of taking the actual bird to the vet can you take some of her poop to the vet to have it tested (it's cheap) for worms?

Instead of taking the actual bird to the vet can you take some of her poop to the vet to have it tested (it's cheap) for worms?

X2. Many vets will do a fecal float test to test for parasites, even if they don't treat birds.
Often worms will not show up visible in the droppings. The test will ID the worm eggs which are microscopic in size, and are shed in the droppings.
Weight loss, runny droppings and reduced laying are common symptoms of worm infection.

Thanks to you both. I'm calling vets in the area but so far none will do a fecal without a full physical. I like my hen... but $75 before any tests are done is a bit... much.

I understand.
Electrolytes are like us humans drinking gatorade.
Vitamins are different...you could give her a dose of vitamins too.

If you absolutely cannot get a test, and you suspect worms, then I'd use a broad spectrum wormer like Safeguard (fenbendazole) or Valbazen (albendazole). You will need to treat twice, 10 days apart, and that will take care of most common worms. Egg withdrawl recommendation is 14 days following treatment, so with two doses 10 days apart that is 24 days dumping eggs.

Coughing can be a respritory illness but it can meat age worms too.
So many different things.

Back
Top Bottom