laying mash versus pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jwasdin27, Jun 20, 2011.

1. jwasdin27

jwasdin27 New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    I just recently started with chickens a couple of months ago and our family loves them like the rest of our pets.I started them out on laying mash and the loved it but I had a couple 2 start sneezing.well I have heard the mash will do that so I switched 2 pellets and they would not touch it but after a couple of days of stressing them and us out they have started eating them and act like they love it thank goodness.

We have 6 easter's,2 RIreds,3bufforps,1wyandote,4 cuckoo marans,12 frizzles,2cochins,1bbred,3tophats,1phoenix,and 2 sexlinks(delaware/rired)

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

HUMM, I'll have to watch for the sneezing, I was going to go to pellets but read that they can eat there fill in a third of the time it takes with mash...which gives them more time to get into trouble, like bullying. So still thinking on it. [​IMG]

3. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    try the crumbles.. they are kinda in between mash and pellets. I too had the sneezing thing going on with the mash.. so much that i was starting to worry my chickens were coming down with something.. now feed the crumbles.. still harder to eat than pellets...

4. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

A long time ago, I switched from Layer "crumbles" to Layer pellets. It has saved me money on feed costs because the wild birds here don't eat as much of the pellets as they did the "crumbles". [​IMG]

just something else to consider....
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

5. hcppam

I will try crumbles next time around. [​IMG]

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If you put some of the mash in a bucket and put in some water, stir with a stick, the mash turns into crumbles!!! Dead serious.

You cannot beat the pellets for convenience, but typically mash is the cheapest form of procuring the feed.

7. hcppam

OH crumb, now that you say that, the jays around here might clean me out, they take off with my dog food LOL [​IMG]

8. 3 Dog Farm

3 Dog Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I feed my hens layer crumble in their feeders, but every morning I make them a big plate of "mash" from pellets mixed with water. They gobble that up. Wouldn't you rather have your Cheerios wet than dry? I also add plain yogurt to the mix every few days, which they are crazy about.

9. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    I just switched from pellets to crumbles. I also switched the brand, but they do eat the crumbles with more enthusiasm. I don't think I am going back to pellets.

10. Chikn-Chik

Chikn-Chik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Tellico Plains, TN
    We feed crumbles, we used to feed pellets but they were to bug for the banties, plus they love the crumbles way better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by