laying mash vs. rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sumpenny, Oct 18, 2009.

1. sumpenny

sumpenny Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    I have 6 hens that are 6 months old. I also have one rooster. They have yet to lay eggs. The folks at the feed store say that I should try feeding them laying mash but my dad wants to let the rooster do his job. Any thoughts?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Roosters have nothing to do with the laying status of your hens, nor can they stimulate this action. Nor can laying mash. Laying mash is a nutritional feed designed for chickens who are currently laying which replaces the protein and calcium that is depleted during the egg-laying times. A rooster can fertilize these eggs but is not necessary for anything but this action, unless it is as an acting flock protector.

3. NitaAZ

NitaAZ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    The rooster has nothing to do with egg laying. His job to make eggs fertile. Even hens without a rooster will lay eggs.

I agree to try laying mash.

Nita

4. mahalo4

mahalo4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Gilbert,AZ
    the only thing i have noticed w/roosters is that when my hens where getting ready to start laying the roo's started to pay attention to them/so i knew they where ready to start laying i don't know that this is fact but it has happened to 3 sets of hens i had coming up. [​IMG]

5. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I concur... the rooster is totally unnecessary unless you want to hatch chicks. The hens will lay when they're ready.

As far as roosters mating with "about to lay" pullets... happens at my house too. They know better than we do when a pullet is fully mature. They never, ever try to breed with the young ones.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I agree.

7. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    what they all said....

and as a note... my roo eats the laying mash.. and he hasn't started laying eggs yet.. should i worry??

sorry... lol.. i had to...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by