Laying Mash

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blake101, Jul 14, 2010.

1. blake101

blake101 Songster

Feb 13, 2010
    North, MS
    Can you get Laying Mash in crumbs or pellets? Which do most people use, and at what % protein?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  2. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    At my feed stores mash is well mash just looks like ground up food and they maker layer in a pellet no layer crumble....my spoiled chickens do not even like little tiny pellets only like crumbles or the mash but they love any kind of seeds or grain except whole corn and any kind of scraps thrown out my spoiled weird chickens....

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    You can get Layer in -
    Mash, Crumble and Pellet. I believe that most people like to use a Layer around 18% protein (some use a little more protein)
    I myself don't feed a layer I feed a Game Bird Feed and offer oyster shells.

Chris

4. blake101

blake101 Songster

Feb 13, 2010
    North, MS
    Quote:Is the pellet the largest and the mash the smallest?

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Is the pellet the largest and the mash the smallest?

Correct.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The ingredients for a feed ration are mixed, ground, mixed with water and extruded into pellets. The pellets are baked at a high degree to eliminate moisture and kill pathogens that naturally occur in grains (usually various forms of mycotoxins). For crumbles, the pellets are coarsely ground; for mash they are finely ground. For pellets, well, the pellets are not re-ground. [​IMG]

7. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I've always preferred pellets for the simple reason they make less of a mess--mash on the floor gets mixed with poop and makes a crusty layer. Don't know if my chickens have a preference since I've never given them a choice.

8. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Songster

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    My birds seem to prefer the pellets, and I do too, because I like the low dust content. But if I had broodies and chicks, I'd definately use a mash. Chicks can't break apart the pellets.

9. blake101

blake101 Songster

Feb 13, 2010
    North, MS
    Quote:Thanks, I was thinking it worked like that but wasnt sure. I am hoping to find pellets, just think it will be a little cleaner.

10. Mervin

Mervin Songster

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    One other consideration, at least in my area, is price. Locally, crumbles and pellets come from Purina or other such manufacturer. The mash, however, is produced locally and therefore much less $$. A 100# bag of mash is ~$18.00. A 50# of crumbles is ~$14.00.

Yes, I am a cheapskate. But, I mostly chose the mash b/c I prefer to spend my money locally when possible.

It is definitely dustier as some have mentioned. Honestly, they're chickens. They poop on everything. I don't think the dust is a big problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by