1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying/Nestbox question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by miccicke, Dec 8, 2011.

1. miccicke

miccicke New Egg

Jun 30, 2011
    I am new to raising Chickens. I have 8 Hens that have started laying November 30th, and I have been getting 4-6 eggs a day.
    Something I noticed, after an egg is laid, the other hens roll the eggs out of the nest boxes. I'm not sure why this is happening. No broken eggs yet, but I am afraid that is the risk here.

Is this normal? Why is this happening?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What may be happening is that the eggs get knocked out of the nests when the hens are rearranging the bedding to their satisfaction. This often involves a lot of scratching. Bedding/nesting material often winds up on the coop floor too. I solved this problem by raising the lip at the bottom of the nest box to maybe 5" high.

3. miccicke

miccicke New Egg

Jun 30, 2011
    Very good. I'll try to raise the lip of the nest box a little higher.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

4. ridgewood chickens

ridgewood chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Monadnock Region, NH
    I also put a lip on mine, only a couple of inches high, but works well keeping eggs and nesting material in nest box. My chickens tend to do a lot of scratching around and rearranging of the nesting material in all of the boxes, whether or not they end up laying an egg there, so the lip really helps.

5. miccicke

miccicke New Egg

Jun 30, 2011
    I raised the nest box lip by 3 inches, and no problems since.
    Problem solved.

Thank you for the tip!

6. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I use those plastic recycling totes- they look like milk crates with a side cut out. They work great. They are deep enough that the hens can really hunker down into them and feel safe as well as allowing for quite a bit of straw (my choice for bedding) and there is no kicking out of eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by