Laying...Not Laying...Laying...Not Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kenmlang, Mar 9, 2014.

1. kenmlang

kenmlang Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2014
    Cut-N-Shoot,TX
    I have an Americauna tha started laying the day after this past Christmas. She layed an egg a day for 2 weeks and then did not lay for about 2 weeks. When she started laying again, she actually laid 2 eggs one night while she was roosting. I know this seems impossible, but when I went to the coop that morning, there were 2 eggs on the floor of the coop under the roost. One egg was fine, but the other was softshell. She is the only hen I have that lays a large blue egg, so I know it was her. She has now stopped laying again, for about a week now. Yesterday she went into the nesting box twice and sat for a while, but nothing. She seems to be fine, but I am worried something is wrong. Can someone help??

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Young hens often take awhile to sort out their reproductive systems, but nearly three months is unusually long. What are you feeding her? Is there something near or in the coop that may be causing her stress? Any changes, predator attacks, new chickens introduced to the flock over the last 2+ months?

3. kenmlang

Mar 9, 2014
    Cut-N-Shoot,TX
    We have added 5 pullets about 2 months ago in a separate coop. She started laying again the day the new pullets were brought home. She laid for an egg a day for about 2 weeks, and then she stopped. Then she started again about 2 weeks ago, and laid the same way for about a week. At present time she is going in the nesting box and sitting for a while about twice a day. We are feeding laying crumbles and scratch, she also free ranges most of the day.

4. kenmlang

Mar 9, 2014
    Cut-N-Shoot,TX
    She laid today!! From the size off the egg, no wonder it took so long. That musta hurt!! lol. My girl is fine and she will probably give us another one tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by