laying on floor of coop....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by timco, Sep 5, 2008.

1. timco

timco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Our RIRs started laying on the coop floor this week every third day or so and we are loosing eggs as the floor is cement pavers. We can put down straw on the floor, but would rather get them into the boxes. Could it be they do not like the nest box pads we installed? They layed on them for weeks and now this....

Thanks, Tim

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

In my humble opinion, chickens brains are the size of a pea and it takes a while to get them to do what YOU want them to do, if ever. We have an entire bale of straw all over the hen house floor for such an occasion as a falling egg, or bird for that matter. They kick it all over the place, but there is so much they can't find the floor. Cleans up easily, makes a great compost pile for our fruit trees. :)

3. timco

timco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    Salt Lake City, UT
    So should we just allow them to lay wherever they want by putting straw in the coop on the floor? Maybe remove the nest box pads?

Tim

4. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    We put carpet in our egg boxes so they don't break as easily.

Maybe you could put a piece down where they are laying on the floor under the bedding.

5. timco

timco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    Salt Lake City, UT
    It actually looks like they are standing on their roosts and letting them fall as they are all smashed but under the roosts...

Tim

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have found that will all that straw, they build their nest where they want to - We only have one outside of the boxes, and that's in a cat litter box outside the hen house. And they have used it. I have straw under the roost too because one did lay an egg from up there and it was still whole when I got home :)

7. modenacart

modenacart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    Put some fake eggs or golf balls where you want them to lay. It works well for me.

8. lana

lana Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Eureka, MO
    I have recently gotten 2 year old chickens and i don't think the previous owner has nesting boxes. The chickens don't seem to know where to lay. They seem to drop eggs any
    where they want. One of the girls dropped an egg while sitting on the roost looking at me. I put some of the eggs in the boxes and marked them should that help.

kitty

9. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Quote:Tim, That is happening to me also -- just one hen though. The others use one nest box although there are three of them in their coop -- I only have 5 chickens.

I thought at first they were just being impatient but now I am thinking I simply have one that prefers to sit on the roost to lay her egg. We have plans to install a poop box under the roost. I'm now wondering if, in the meantime, I build a fake box so the wire is closer to the roost--egg has less space to fall and maybe doesn't get broken that way.

In the meantime, I put down straw. Not the best option but it keeps the egg from breaking.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree, I put golf balls in my nest boxes and they push the balls under them with the other eggs. I have 1 ball in each nest box

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by