Laying on the poop board

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mekaboyer, Oct 18, 2011.

1. mekaboyer

mekaboyer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    I have 11 chickens, my white rock has decided that she wants to sit and lay on the poop board, when I catch her sitting on the poop board I put her into one of the nesting boxes but she usually jumps right back out and goes back up on the board. She is about 6 months old, none of the others do this, is there a way I can fix this??

Thanks,
    Mike

2. mychoock

mychoock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
    I have a similar problem, so I hope someone answers us. My hens have just begun to lay (since four days ago), and two eggs were on the floor, the other three were laid in the nest.
    Any advice? I did leave one egg in the nest box, but don't want to leave it there indefinitely. I guess I should look for a plastic/ceramic egg to use as a decoy?

3. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    How far below the roost is your poop board? Can you describe your set up? Is the roost higher than the nest?

4. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I used golf balls in all of my nests and I have never had an egg laid anywhere but in the nest box.

5. mekaboyer

Sep 19, 2011
    I have golf balls in the nesting boxes, and the board is 12 inches below the roosting bar, I tried 6 as well.

6. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    one of my Wyndotts ( about 6 months old )started out laying in the nest box, then for no reason i could determine she decided to lay on the poop board. I even watched as one rolled off and broke. so I just let her go ahead and lay where you want. her sister ,the Australorps and my RIR were using the nest boxes..... a few days later she started laying in the nest box. No more eggs on the poop board. Not a big deal, she only layed about 4 or 5 on the board. Never did figure out why and she never said.

7. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I think a lot of newbie pullets lay their first few in odd locations.
    Possibly because they don't really know what's happening down there.
    And when they figure it out they may be a little intimidated by the older hens,
    who can pick on them a bit before accepting them as nest worthy.
    I've had good results golf balls. I just leave 2 in each box permanently.

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

To be clear, is she laying her eggs on the dropping board, or actually laying (as in resting) on the dropping board????

9. mekaboyer

Sep 19, 2011
    She is laying her eggs on the poop board mainly, but I have also caught her resting there too.

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Sometimes we'll get an egg laid on the poop trays, too. I know one of our chickens actually prefers to lay in high places (I've caught her trying to nest on the roof of the run several times).

You can try putting a nestbox up at roost level and see if your hen will lay there instead of the tray.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by