1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying outside coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FlagChick, Nov 4, 2009.

1. FlagChick

FlagChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2009
    Flagstaff, AZ
    One of my ladies, who I think just started laying, found a spot she likes in my yard (in an area I try to keep the chickens out of) to make a little nest and lay. She must be flying over a fence that I didn't think the chickens could get over, and is very persistent about laying in this one spot. I want her to lay in the boxes in their coop... any suggestions?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you know which one it is, you can lock her in the coop or a nest to try to get her in the habit of laying there, say keep her in there until she has laid her daily egg, then let her out. A fake egg could also help tell her where to lay.

This is a difficult one so I don't know how successful you will be. I had one laying on the floor of the coop. I caught her while she was laying on the floor and locked her in the nest until she laid her egg. I then let her out. She has been laying in the nest since.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by