Laying outside the lines

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NuthatchKnollChickens, Apr 27, 2009.

1. NuthatchKnollChickens

NuthatchKnollChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    My Buff Orpingtons are a year old and have layed their eggs in their nest boxes that whole time, with a couple of exceptions when they first started laying. Now all of a sudden yesterday, everyone laid outside in the yard instead of in the coop. One of them laid right on the back deck! It's very hot here right now, but it was hot last summer, too, and they laid inside, so I don't think that's it. I did do some repair work on the coop day before yesterday which made a lot of noise... do you think they were spooked by that? I cleaned out the nest boxes, just in case there was something undesireable in there that was making them uncomfortable. Can't think of what else it might be. Any guesses on whether they will start laying inside again or if I've got a bad trend on my hands here? [​IMG] Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'll bet they were indeed spooked by the noise. Here's hoping they forget about it soon.

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    If you scared them(remember they are chickens) they may be leary of going back inside. They should return to normal. If not dont let them out till they have layed, that might get them back into the right habit.

4. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    stick an egg in the nest. My hens can't seem to stand it if someone else laid an egg in a nest, they have to do it there too! [​IMG] I have 6 nest boxes exactly the same and they all fight over one. [​IMG] So maybe that would get them back on track and show them it is still safe to lay in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by