Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
My seven 27 week old pullets have given me 3 eggs per over the past two days. This followed:
  1. steady 7 eggs per day for about a month
  2. a sudden cold "invasion" (-6 to -8C days, -12 to -14C nights) lasting almost one week
  3. variable 4-6 eggs per day starting perhaps middle of the cold snap
  4. Return to normal temperatures, just above/below 0C.
I have been told that a sudden, big drop in production cam come about as a result of a "shock". And that a sudden cold snap could qualify as a shock.

FWIW No other out of the ordinary signs, eating/drinking "steady", all birds active,

Thanks

Last edited:
And that a sudden cold snap could qualify as a shock.
Maybe not a 'shock'... but definitely a 'stressor'... which can affect laying.

My seven 27 week old pullets have given me 3 eggs per over the past two days
I wouldn't call 2 days a 'pattern'.
I'm assuming the temps are back to 0°C just for 2 days now.
Give it another week or so and see what happens.

Even high production pullets can be affected by the shorter days during their first winter.

Past two days have produced 2 eggs each. Previously seven pullets start of laying October 1st, ~7 eggs per day for 3-4 weeks then an erratic decrease.

I obviously need to reset my expectations of egg per day per pullet. Of note are two events: a plunge from 0C to -12C(lower?) two weeks ago for a week; ran out of local mash (higher corn content, 16% protein) so change of diet for 4-5 days.

My priority at this point is to ensure the pullets are getting "what they need" I think they are). At the two extremes all seven will stop laying or they will go back to 7 eggs daily; more realistically I image is a reduced daily amount throughout the winter.

Any/all comments welcomed.

Yup.
Like Blooie used to say..."they ain't pez dispensers".

28 days until Solstice!

December 22nd did go through my mind, I did not associate to laying pattern but, of course. And I assume just the start of the climb back to March or so?

I do not plan to add artificial light, will let nature rule.

Last edited:
Sneaky Ladies

This morning I found 20 eggs in a back corner (under drop board, to left of nest box). Plus 1 in the nest, brings daily average back to 6 (tbc). DUH!

Nest box is about 4-6" off surface of 4" bed of mulch/straw. Guessing it will not be easy to get the ladies to move back to nest box?

Last edited:
Sneaky Ladies

This morning I found 20 eggs in a back corner (under drop board, to left of nest box). Plus 1 in the nest, brings daily average back to 6 (tbc). DUH!

Nest box is about 4-6" off surface of 4" bed of mulch/straw. Guessing it will not be easy to get the ladies to move back to next box?
:gig:gig:gig
So there wasn't a slow down after all!?

Put a bucket or something where they were laying.

Back
Top Bottom