Laying pellets in winter?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chalet girl, Jan 17, 2015.

1. chalet girl

chalet girl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2014
    Hi, I was wondering if feeding laying pellets in the winter is a good idea. If hens naturally don't lay in the winter maybe it's best to give them a break. What are your thoughts on this? I've only had my girls for 8 months so I'm still learning.

2. David1998

David1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    Houston, Texas
  3. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    You could feed them a "multi-flock" feed and supplement with the oyster shells on the side.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto matt44644^^^^

I like to feed a 'flock raiser' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and all molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

The higher protein crumble offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer.

5. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I also never feed layer feed for the reasons aart mentioned.

Too much calcium can be very hard on chickens, it can lead to visceral gout and kidney problems. How do you know if they're getting too much calcium? If they are eating layer feed and aren't laying eggs (molting, winter "break" or their a rooster or chick), they're getting too much calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by