laying pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pooh731, Aug 22, 2011.

1. pooh731

pooh731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    Has anyone heard of laying pellets or even tried them. And also of laying crumbles. Because we just bought our chickens the layibg pellets and they are not quiet sure if they want to eat them. We were told by the guy who works at the feed store to mix it in with the scratch grain.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, I use lay pellets for my laying girls. I switch my girls over to lay pellets at 20 weeks. I do not feed lay pellets to those that are below 20 weeks of age. I do not mix the lay pellets with anything.

3. pooh731

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    ok thank you. do they eat it alright. I noticed since i mixed it this morning they ate it all better then ehen the pellets were by itself.

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Mine love the pellets. I don't like lay crumble because it can be a lot of waste. What exactly are you mixing in with the pellets? Did you say scratch? If so, I believe that scratch is more like a treat rather than a nutrious chicken feed. Are you sure they are not going crazy over the scratch which in turn makes it appear they are eating the pellets?

5. pooh731

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    Yes with scratch and yes they are eating the pellts. Should I try just the pellets again.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Pellets are very popular, perhaps the most popular form of layer feed. The ease of feeding and the lack of waste being the drawing card.

Some birds are a bit fussy, however, and if you change up their food, they try to wait you out for a day or two, hoping against hope the old food re-appears. If you don't cave in, they will eat whatever you feed them. No chicken starves themselves to death. [​IMG][​IMG] Limit the scratch!!! It's just a 10% of their total caloric intake treat, that's it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  7. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Fred's Hens :

Pellets are very popular, perhaps the most popular form of layer feed. The ease of feeding and the lack of waste being the drawing card.

Some birds are a bit fussy, however, and if you change up their food, they try to wait you out for a day or two, hoping against hope the old food re-appears. If you don't cave in, they will eat whatever you feed them. No chicken starves themselves to death. [​IMG][​IMG] Limit the scratch!!! It's just a 10% of their total caloric intake treat, that's it.

X2-- [​IMG]

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:X2-- [​IMG]

x3
    [​IMG]

9. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    We have used nothing but pellets for years and work great for us with less waste than crumbles or mash.... They may not warm right up to them, but stop feeding treats etc. for a while and they will indeed eat them. If you mix with scratch (treat) they will pick through the pellets to get the scratch....

10. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    I prefer pellets to crumbles - less waste. It did take the younger ones a few days to get used to them though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by