laying pellets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenman17, Oct 31, 2011.

1. chickenman17

chickenman17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Southeast Oklahoma
    I have a free range mix of chickens that run wild and i feed them scratch every day. They don't really lay that's why. I also have 13 pullets in a pen that are just starting to lay and i've been feeding them scratch too. How much better do hens lay when they are on laying pellets? Thanks!

2. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I am not sure I can give you the best answer, but I have a flock of nine who are able to free range about 6 hours every day. We still feed them layer pellets, because it has the right amount of protein and calcium that helps with egg production. The greens they gather through ranging and the scratch is not enough nutrition to produce good layers.

3. chickenman17

chickenman17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Southeast Oklahoma
    Quote:I see what you're saying. This especially applies to my flock because here in Oklahoma we are having a long term drought and the grass is just now starting to comeback after the couple of rains we've had. So my pen is just dirt right now because all of the grass died in the summer and hasn't came back and probably won't until spring or i may have to plant some in there. So basically i should probably start them on layer ASAP.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. Grain alone is not all the nutrition the birds need. My birds free range as well and get grains but always have a feeder full of layer feed too.

5. LT

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I think that would be wise. The layer pellets will give them the most basic nutrition they need to stay healthy and the free-ranging is like icing on the cake! You will definitely notice a difference in egg quality due to free-ranging and a more diverse diet.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yeah I would lay off all that scratch & corn and go to a 16% layer free choice, they will do much better on that and a little grass.

7. ednasgirl

ednasgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    This is my first bunch of chicks and I love having them. Just have ten. They are healthy and laying almost every day...usually get 7-10 eggs; When they were biddies, I fed them the medicinal mash, then changed to growth when they were old enough. I Always put out scratch grain for them, but when I changed from laying crumbles to laying pellets, they don't eat it much at all. They eat the grain and love treats, but those small pellets aren't getting eaten. They free range 6 hrs per day (and recently ate some styrofoam which concerned us).
    Should I give up and go back to the layer crumbles? They are great chicks. If they stray too far, I can holler "Come on girls," they come running knowing they are about to get a treat. [​IMG]

8. LT

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    You can get the layer formula in crumble form too. I think it is the right blend of protein and calcium that layers really demand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by