Laying pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cajunlizz, Jun 3, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    OK , I feed my chickens morning and late afternoon . DO the HENS have to have laying pellets EVERYDAY ? IF so , do I have to give with every feeding ?

WHAT age can the chicks be removed off chick starter ? Mine are 10 - 12 weeks old .

IF I have to keep on the chick starter , CAN I MIX with the chicken scratch ?

I have also been giving bread to ALL . I have 27 chicks ( 10 - 12 weeks old ) , 4 laying hens , and 3 hens FIXING TO start laying .

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, I would keep the chicks on starter/grower for at least 4 more weeks. Your hens need layer every day, possibly free choice. Laying eggs takes alot out of a chicken, and they really need the ingredients in the layer. I would not be feeding bread. They will fill up on that and eat less of their nutritious feed.
    You can make them a nutritious snack instead. Yogurt, instant oatmeal, water, and feed mixed . I would not give them too much scratch either

3. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:WHY NOT to much scratch ?[​IMG]

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    because scratch is like candy bars. Very little nutrition.

5. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I feed my girls like this....

Laying Hens get... layer feed... free choice
    oyster shell... free choice
    and a treat each night... could be some scratch, veggie scraps, or whatever I can find!

Pullets 3 months old... Grower 18%... free choice
    and a treat each night

6. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    Yep, easy on the scratch. Too much scratch will make your birds fat if they are not allowed to roam about and burn it off. Overweight chickens can develope heart problems. A good rule of thumb is to handle your birds on a regular basis. This way you get the hands on feel of their health and well being. Good luck with your birds....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by