laying placement

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by only one lay, Dec 31, 2008.

1. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    Got nesting boxes at a sale for a cheap price last summer while building coop. hung them, inside the coop girls continue to lay in the extra straw sitting around instead of in the nesting box. How can I get them to lay in the boxes so I can be lazy and not egg hunt crawl daily?

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Try placing golf balls in the nests.

3. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    You could try removing any extra straw laying around or otherwise make the nest boxes more inviting than their old spots. Are the nest boxes shaded?

4. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    Define shaded- They are hung on the back wall and my timed light is on the front wall with no shadows. should it be shadowed?

5. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Quote:Basiclally, no direct light streaming in or reflected bright light on the nests. My birds prefer nest boxes with subdued light.

Since my little coop had little wallspace for nests except right next to a window, the birds didn't care for it much until I hung an old pillowcase over most of the opening. They seem happy with the accomodations now.

Wayne

6. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens took a little time, but figured out to use the nest boxes on their own. I'll still find the occasional egg on the floor and other places, but the majority are now in the nests.
    I don't know if it made a difference, but when I added carpet to the nest boxes they seemed to be more consistant in using them.
    I tried the straw and shavings, but they kicked all that stuff out.

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

How high are they? I was advised to have nests about a foot off the coop floor with perch attached on front and it's worked well. Golf balls do work!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by