Laying pullets not getting oystershell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Catmoose1347, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Catmoose1347

Catmoose1347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Washington
    I have a multi-aged flock, so I put out oystershell for my three laying pullets. However, the pullets that are not laying and the roos are the ones that are eating the oystershell. Before I realized this, I couldn't figure out why I was getting so many soft shell eggs. I am now forced to separate the three so they can actually get proper nutrition. Any ideas?

2. Joshw

Joshw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I started adding a small amount of oyster shell to my feed pans every few days. It keeps me from having a feeder for oyster shells and makes sure the birds get the calcium they need.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What else are you feeding?
    They need a balanced nutrition to be able to absorb the calcium...which can be a cause of softsshelled eggs.

Are you sure that the others are actually eating the shell or just pecking and flinging it out of the container?

The layers may be eating some of it you just don't see it.

4. Catmoose1347

Jul 10, 2014
    Washington

When they first started laying, one had a problem with soft shells. She was the only one who didn't eat the oystershell that was available. (This was before the non-layers realized they could eat the little white rocks.) I made a "mash" for them to eat during the day. I put oystershell and eggshell bits in it and mealworms, lemon balm, starter/grower pellets (this is what the younger ones are eating). This has been working great and I would separate them for an hour or so while they eat this. Recently, I got layer feed and gave it to them and it seems that it isn't working for them because all the oystershell pieces are left at the bottom of the tray and I Am getting soft shell eggs again (or no eggs). I'm trying to add the layer feed into the mash I give them, and they are all laying well with the exception of the same one as before who has been having trouble.

People say that a hen laying two eggs a day is rare, but she lays two a day pretty often. Granted, they're usually not "real" eggs, but soft shelled ones or a soft and a regular one.

Also, I am sure the other ones are eating the oystershell. They run over to me when I put it down a gobble it up like it's scratch. I see evidence coming out of their rear ends as well.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be you just have a bird who's system is just not functioning properly, it happens.
    If all your other birds are doing fine, then it's not probably what you're feeding.

6. Catmoose1347

Jul 10, 2014
    Washington
    Yeah, I am starting to think that she's just got issues.

I'm worried about the young ones especially, because I'm 99.99% sure it's not great for them to be getting so much calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by