laying question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by metaluno67, Apr 28, 2011.

1. metaluno67

metaluno67 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    1)Why are my egg sizes not consistant? One day they'll be large and next day medium. I have barred rocks and jersey reds
    2)Why are shells thin? We feed high quality food along with veggie scraps. They get oyster shells an grit as needed.

2. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Different chickens lay different size eggs, and they all do not always lay on the same days.
    Make sure you are feeding layer ration, which has a higher calcium content. Keep scraps to "treat" size. Too many treats can dilute the percentage of layer ration that they consume in a day.
    You can also try mixing the oyster shell directly in with the chicken feed for awhile & see if that helps.
    Links to soft shell problems:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps020
    http://www.blpbooks.co.uk/articles/egg_problems/egg_problems.php

3. metaluno67

Apr 28, 2011
    We feed laying mash with grit and shells in the feed. I know about the egg production end but these have me baffled. Would age have anything to do with it? The four older hens lay same sized eggs everytime its my younger hens that have the issues, they are 8 months old.

4. Celtic Chick

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    I don't understand your question completely. Do you mean that the younger ones are having both the thin shells and the differing sizes? Which breed are they?
    They are 8 months, right? How long have they been laying? It may just be a matter of them coming into lay. Their bodies probably haven't completely matured yet. I'd say give it a few months yet. I have heard of some hens not even starting to lay until they were over a year old.

5. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    I have some 8 month old pullets that are just starting to lay and they aren't laying every day but some days they are smaller and sometimes they are bigger, not quite to the size of a mature hen at all. Didn't pay attention to the shells consistency but nothing stood out either. I think it is because they are young layers.

6. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I agree it may be due to their young age. My four 5 1/2 month old pullets sometimes lay different sized eggs. One has been laying some larger, double yolkers. One lays small and smaller round eggs. Been laying less than 1 month.

7. metaluno67

Apr 28, 2011
    Quote:Let me restate:
    My 8 month old Barred Rocks and Jerseys are laying inconsistant sized eggs and some are thin shelled. What would be the cause of each issue?

8. Celtic Chick

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Quote:Let me restate:
    My 8 month old Barred Rocks and Jerseys are laying inconsistant sized eggs and some are thin shelled. What would be the cause of each issue?

On the Poultry Site link I posted, they state that your issues are most likely due to the fact that they are still young birds that have not fully matured when it comes to egg laying yet. I would not be too overly concerned at this time. Give it a few more months and see how it goes. Different breeds mature at different times, so one breed might have both of the issues cleared up quickly while the other may take a little longer. It is frustrating, I know, but your patience should be rewarded soon. [​IMG]

Incidence of Thin-Shelled or Shell-less Eggs: (I know this is only one of your issues)
    The incidence of these eggs varies from about 0.5 to 6%. They are commonly produced by pullets coming into lay, particularly by birds that have matured early. Some birds continue to lay this type of egg.

Cause & Control
    Immature shell gland= Delay onset of sexual maturity 1 to 2 weeks by controlled feeding during rearing.
    Defective shell gland- Cull birds which persistently produce such eggs.
    Disturbances causing eggs to be laid before calcification of the shell is complete= Minimize activities which create disturbances in and around the layer shed. Increase shed security to stop other birds and animals entering the shed.
    Poor nutrition= Make sure that birdsÂ’ nutrient intake is correct (particularly regarding calcium and vitamin D3). Mixed feed should be handled carefully so that the different components do not separate out. This particularly needs to be checked when augers and automatic feeding systems are used.
    Saline water= Desalinate, dilute or do not use drinking water containing problem levels of salts.
    Diseases, e.g. infectious bronchitis and eggdrop syndrome= Follow effective vaccination programs where available.

9. metaluno67

Apr 28, 2011
    Thanks, not concerned really just more info for knowledge. Still learning why certain things happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by