Laying question?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tsiecz, Oct 4, 2011.

1. tsiecz

tsiecz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    With the days being shorter; how much does that interfier with chickens laying their first egg?
    Will they postpone laying their first egg until the days get longer to their liking? Or
    Does Mother Nature say " I dont't care how much daylight there is, its time for you to lay your first egg?"

2. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    I dont know for sure, but i do know one thing, hens don't lay in the cold.you should get a heat lamp or take her indoors, thats all i got...
    Yankee

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Sometimes they'll wait until spring...just depends on their genetics.

4. tsiecz

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    Quote:So your saying that they stop laying completely in cold weather ??

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:That information is not accurate. Chickens do lay in the cold. Chickens also handle cold weather very well, especially most American breeds. Normally, a new pullet will lay very well their first winter, although many might need the assistance of a few hours of added light, in the mornings. Most folk add that little light from 5 am to 8 am using a simple, inexpensive timer.

6. tsiecz

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    Fred's Hens :

Quote:That information is not accurate. Chickens do lay in the cold. Chickens also handle cold weather very well, especially most American breeds. Normally, a new pullet will lay very well their first winter, although many might need the assistance of a few hours of added light, in the mornings. Most folk add that little light from 5 am to 8 am using a simple, inexpensive timer.

Thanks I got a little scared that I may not see any eggs until spring. We have had some cooler night-50's, high 40's, but the daytime highs are still in 65 to 78 average.Just alot of rain and cloudy days. The next 5 days should be sunny and clear. Hopefully that will get them in the egg laying mood.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  7. AngelaB

AngelaB Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Michigan
    Mine aren't laying yet. But my uncle still gets eggs in the winter, just not as many. He does not add a light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by