Laying question?

tsiecz

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 1, 2011
Pendleton,NY
With the days being shorter; how much does that interfier with chickens laying their first egg?
Will they postpone laying their first egg until the days get longer to their liking? Or
Does Mother Nature say " I dont't care how much daylight there is, its time for you to lay your first egg?"

Quote:
That information is not accurate. Chickens do lay in the cold. Chickens also handle cold weather very well, especially most American breeds. Normally, a new pullet will lay very well their first winter, although many might need the assistance of a few hours of added light, in the mornings. Most folk add that little light from 5 am to 8 am using a simple, inexpensive timer.

Fred's Hens :

Quote:
That information is not accurate. Chickens do lay in the cold. Chickens also handle cold weather very well, especially most American breeds. Normally, a new pullet will lay very well their first winter, although many might need the assistance of a few hours of added light, in the mornings. Most folk add that little light from 5 am to 8 am using a simple, inexpensive timer.

Thanks I got a little scared that I may not see any eggs until spring. We have had some cooler night-50's, high 40's, but the daytime highs are still in 65 to 78 average.Just alot of rain and cloudy days. The next 5 days should be sunny and clear. Hopefully that will get them in the egg laying mood.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom