Laying question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crooked stripe, Jun 7, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have 7 - 17 week old hens that don't lay yet. My roo has figured out what mating was all about and he has been very busy the last few days. Will this mating speed up egg production? Some of the combs on the hens have a darker red color the last few days but it has been in the 90's around here and I though it might be caused by heat. Any info would be greatly appreciated. John

2. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    I'd say it won't speed up production, but it'll probably ensure the eggs are fertile when they are laid. The hens will lay eggs when they're fully mature, and most hens lay eggs at 20+ weeks. Going by what I'm seeing here, with temps in the mid-90s, hot weather affects birds differently. Some will have redder and some will have paler combs in really hot weather, depending on how much the heat affects them. My pullets vary from one extreme to the other.

3. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have keep all the doors open 24-7. The window is open only if there is no rain in sight. (wet bedding etc) They only go in the coop to roost at night, hence pile of poo. The rest of the coop is as clean as if it was just cleaned. They spend most of the day under the large shade trees in a hole they have dug for dust bathing. Waiting for some fresh eggs. John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by