1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hmbrown05, Nov 21, 2014.

1. hmbrown05

hmbrown05 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    I have a flock of 25 chickens, 1 adult rooster, I "think" 4 cockrels between 10-13 weeks, 5 pullets also between 10-13 weeks and 15 hens. The babies have recently integrated back with the flock with their respective hens (2 separate clutches) and we have had a change in roosters and a bought of coccidia and a change in feed to accomodate everyones needs. A lot of change... My hens are roughly 9 months old of mixed breeds, Production red, barred rock and White Leghorn and easter egger.

Most have stopped laying in the last month due to all the stress of the things mentioned above with the exception of 4 of the leghorns. I am curious to know if it likely that any will go ahead and pick back up on egg laying despite the approaching winter (central Texas) or if they are most likely done until longer day lengths return? How long post "weaning" of chicks to hens usually go back into production? And also will that happen with shortening day lengths? (I am not interested in supplemental lighting).

2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    My RIR girl left her chicks at 5 weeks (she started pecking at them, so I put her back in the flock) and she laid an egg the very next day! She was just ready I guess, and I'm sure it's different depending on the breed of hen. I have heard that from broody to laying again can take between two and three months on average.

Certainly all the new additions to the flock, the feed changes and the cocci outbreak will have a effect on egg laying, but as long as everyone is well now I would not anticipate that would affect egg laying for too long. The shortening days coming into Winter will though, and it could well be that the combination of all that along with the lessening daylight might stop them laying until the next season.

Like you, I am not interested in supplemental lighting. My thoughts are that if it is natural for hens to stop laying over Winter they might actually need that time off to rejouvenate themselves. It's a personal choice though. My girls are not just egg laying machines to me, they are pets and I want them to be happy and healthy.

I guess at the end of the day, what will be will be. You might have to buy some yucky shop bought eggs to get you through. Or go without. Hmm, tough choice.....

- Krista

3. hmbrown05

hmbrown05 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    Lol on the store eggs! That's how I have come to feel too!! I am getting 3-4 a day an that sustains us for now, just hope it doesn't drop any more [​IMG]

Both of the Momma hens have mother these chicks longer than I would have thought. The older set just now got the run off and the 10 weekers are still faithfully cared for!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by