Laying Rates

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Leah and peeps, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Songster

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Hello,

If you had lets just say 25 laying hens of any breed, in each season, per day how many eggs do you approx. get on average?

Thanks [​IMG]

Example: ( just random numbers [​IMG])

Spring: 22
    Fall: 19
    Summer: 21
    Winter: 14

2. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Songster

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Anyone?? [​IMG]

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Hi! Well, it kinda depends on what kind of breeds you have, and their ages. I do know that egg production will slow down and sometimes stops in the winter. What breeds and ages do you have?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2009
  4. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I have 21 hens.between 8 & 10 months old.. Friday we got 12 eggs, but that was a good day! I've been getting about 6 to 7 on average. Australorps hold world records for egg laying, about 364 in a year, mt australorps lay daily, but my buff and white orps lay a little less. Hope this helps!

5. cackilacky

cackilacky Songster

Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Someone I know has about that many hens. Half are Black Australorps and half are White Rocks. They are young, most are about 7-8 months old. I think he gets about 8 dozen eggs per week! Our elementary school has a food donation program and he donates most of them.

6. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Songster

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    I don't have any chickens yet, but when i get them they would be a breed INVENTED for laying! [​IMG] to a leghorn. A breed that is an overall great layer. Lets say that they are laying and are almost 8 months old. thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  7. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Songster

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:That is so nice [​IMG]

8. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Our Australorps started laying at 16 weeks old! We have several different breeds, and I'm totally in love with my australorp girls! You can't beat their lay rate, and they're so sweet! They're the only ones we can walk up to and pick up! They'll follow us around even when we don't have treats. I really believe they'd follow us off a cliff if we went! I can't say enough for this awesome chicken breed! Here's a pic of Mable, and our son Kam! She has a special brindle effect on her head... her sisters are all black.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2009
  9. cposz

cposz Songster

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    We have a couple of red sexlink hens that are just the hardest working girls ever! We got them as 1-year olds last Mother's Day and one of these girls has only missed like 3 days in all that time. The other one has maybe missed 6 days. Dependable layers, even now in these shorter days. We will see how they do this winter. We aren't planning to use a light to keep them laying, only to help keep them warm on the very coldest of MN winter days.

Here's Ruby, the world's most dependable layer.
    [​IMG]

(Our 2 BO are new layers and have been doing tag-team duty, laying every other day.)

10. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    OK! I'm not trying to hijack the tread... But I love the pic! What a pretty girl!
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by