1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying REALLY early???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by graychix, May 5, 2016.

1. graychix

graychix Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2015
    I just added two Black Australorps to my flock of five 1-year old chickens about 2 weeks ago. The breeder told me they were 14 weeks old, and that looks about right. They are still small, and their combs and wattles still look chick-ish -- not developed or red at all. THEY ARE LAYING??? Tiny eggs, but eggs nonetheless. Just how weird is this? They look way too young. The rest of my flock are great layers. Peer pressure?

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  2. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio

It's about right if they were 14 wks when you got them, they're 16 wks or so now? I've heard they're one of those prolific layers, reason I got 4 in February. So I might have eggs as early as few weeks from now. Our 1st generation leghorns layers gave us eggs as early as 16 wks when they were so tiny bodies[​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Can you post a pic of these birds?
    If not red in the comb, I would doubt they are laying... but maybe they are.

Check their pelvic points.
    2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

Could it be that your other birds are laying smaller eggs because of the stress?

4. graychix

graychix Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2015
    [​IMG]

This is the more mature looking of the two. I separated them from my other birds yesterday just to make sure, so I'm sure it was them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by