Laying season

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by zazouse, Jan 4, 2011.

1. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    What months of the year do Peas lay their eggs?
    I know it may be in the sticky but i don't have the time to look for it.
    Thanks
    ZAZ
    [​IMG]

2. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    here i think its april to september or august

3. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Thank you [​IMG]

4. DMFarm

DMFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    ZAZ
    My start laying mid March and lay to July or Aug. Up north in colder climate they start April or May
    Doug

5. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Thank you,

So how many eggs can they lay in a week or month.
    Also when moving a adult breeding pair to a new home, does that mess their laying up to where they won't lay for a while?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  6. DMFarm

DMFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    When they start laying they will lay one egg ever other day till they lay there first clutch this could be from 3 to 8 eggs sometime a few more. If you gather the eggs they will lay one or two more clutches of eggs. Moving breeder durring breeding season could make them stop laying it depend on how stress out the bird gets.

7. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I figured that might happen,

i know when i got my chicks i picked them up the next town over, one of them got sick the next day and i hand fed it sugar water and polyvisol every 30 to 45 minutes all day, next day she was fine.

Glade i read on here about chicks stressing from a trip on here , guess even a short trim can stress them as well.

I got a chance to get a grown breeder pair in a few months, i really wanted more chicks cause i free range, but if i can get a grown pair and keep them penned i could hatch my own and sell the pair if they don't work out here in a freerange setting.
    [​IMG]

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Here mine start mid April end August. Best to have the breeders moved into the breeding pens , least 30 days before they start laying.

Yes getting breeding pr. could produce you lots of chicks this year, Sometime I will even let the peahens set those late batch of eggs.

9. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    are peahens pretty good mothers? wouldnt the other peahens and peacock in the pen hurt the chicks

10. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I do not know but i will be an incubator to hatch my eggs because everything here free ranges and i don't wanan loose any hens or babies my dogs can only watch so many places at one time.

You know i free range ducks,geese, guineas and chickens together sometimes i keep some of my hatches and i turn them loose with the rest of the flocks at 4 to 6 weeks and none of the flocks bother them, if i catch one that do keep trying to hurt the young , they become my version of pedigree dog food [​IMG] everyone gets along and i have lots of room for everyone .
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by