Laying slowed.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Darin115, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I love the site. I just found it a few days ago. This is my first post.

I have 8 white leg horn hens. I got them about 2 months ago. They have been egg factories since I bought them. I keep them in a 8' x 12' house and let them roam several days a week. I keep (2) bantam hens and a bantam rooster in the house with them.

Last week the laying slowed from 7-8 eggs per day to 2-3 eggs per day. I noticed some of the hens losing feathers under their vent and on their neck.
    They do not act sick and they continue to eat well and have their same silly behavior while scratching around the yard.

I thought they coud be molting but I was told it is the wrong time of year for that.

Yesterday the egg production went back up to 6 eggs for the leg horns.

Anyone have a clue what is going on with my girls??

Darin

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  2. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Look around your property for hidden eggs. Sounds like they are working with the Easter Bunny. [​IMG]

3. Darin115

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I am talking about the days I leave them inside the house.

Darin

4. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Hmmm, do they get enough light in the house? That's a mystery.

5. Darin115

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I have been keeping the curtains down all the time unless it is cold at night or the wind is blowing hard.

They get plenty of light. I was more concerned about losing feathers. The egg production picked back up yesterday. I will know when I get back home from work if it stays up.

Darin

6. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours drops a little on cold and overcast days - maybe one egg every other day from each hen. Sunny warm days we get three eggs a day from two hens. Must be doing something right !!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  7. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    are you sure your hens arnt hiding eggs.as they are out freeranging.now they could be taking a lil break.

8. Cracker

Cracker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    North-West Florida
    Several of mine are molting right now and have stopped laying. I recently moved several others to a new pen, and think they are mad about it because they have stopped laying also!

9. Darin115

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    They are back up to 6 eggs per day. I guess they were just taking a break.

I checked on them last night and I had one hen that had a problem. I guess a egg broke inside her. She had a discharge from her vent. Her vent was really swolen and infected looking. The discharge was rotten smelling. She acted like she was hurting really badly. I hated to do it but I ended her suffering. I hope I made the right decision.

I can't understand how this happened. I do not handle these hens and they stay relativly calm.

Darin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by