Laying small eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by themechanicbob, Jan 13, 2018.

1. themechanicbob

themechanicbob Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    I have 15 Australorp hens. They are 7 months old and have started to lay. Problem is I am getting small to medium eggs. Is this due to feed? I feed chopped corn and hen scratch with lay mash. I give oyster shell once a week. Any help would be appreciated. I have raised other hens and got large and x-large when they started laying.

2. Lostchicken

Lostchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2016
    Paris, Tx
    They may lay small eggs when they first start but they will get larger as they lay. I have three new ones just starting to lay and I am getting small eggs but that will change after they lay a few more times, it is just the first few times when they start.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's normal for new layers. Pullets start out laying small eggs, and they will gradually increase in size as they get older.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    As for the diet, a balanced layer feed is all that is needed. Too much scratch and extra corn can lead to nutrient deficiencies.

rebrascora, aart and Wyorp Rock like this.
  5. themechanicbob

themechanicbob Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    I continue to get small. I have been getting eggs for 2 weeks now.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It is primarily because they are pullets. Pullets lay very small eggs. They will get bigger in 2 to 4 months.
    However, I would cut out some of the corn and scratch. Layer feed is 16% protein and that is about the minimum necessary in protein percentage to make egg yolks/albumen. Depending on what percentage those treats make up, the lower protein could possibly cause smaller eggs.
    If 20% of the intake is corn/scratch, you've dropped the total crude protein to about 14%.
    Not only is scratch and corn low in crude protein, it is missing some of the essential amino acids.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    2 weeks isn't enough time to judge but cut out the corn.
    If you read the feeding instructions on the guaranteed analysis tag, it will say that this is a complete feed and no supplements are necessary.

aart and AMERAUCANAS4REAL like this.
  8. Xlcandylx

Xlcandylx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2017
    My two girls laid small eggs at there start about a month after they grew to much larger eggs.

BluRoo Farm OH likes this.
  9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Flock Master

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    aart and Farmer Connie like this.
  10. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Don't count your Eggs until they hatch Premium Member

:thumbsup Ours are on egg maker feed. Occasional barley grain. When that high protein is introduced daily if available (barley), the eggs from my MATURE STOCK will not fit into any jumbo carton on the market. Even placing them in a flat they have to be staggered to make them fit. Down side is many double yokes. No good for incubation or Broody girls. So no super protein for my breeder houses. Just the Breakfast House.
    Back to the OP, your birds are very young. Your eggs will slowly become larger gradually. It is like watching a pot waiting for it to boil I know, but it will happen.:D
    BTW.. good thread.. thx for starting it.

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by