Laying soft eggs - two eggs in one day with soft shells same duck????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Nov 21, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    My newest laying duck laid two eggs in one day. Both very soft. I have started giving them oyster shell. I assume it as a lack of calcium. It is unusual for them to lay two eggs in one day with soft shells. She hadn't laid the day before? Any suggestions?

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:One time my rouen didnt lay a egg for a day, and the next day she laid a wopper! A double yolker too! Not a very thick shell though. Just give her oyster shell. They will get their shell back soon.

3. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    So she seems to be laying every other day. I have given them oyster shell. if the eggs are staying inside her and coming out multiples, is she in danger? With soft shells are they likely to get stuck inside her?

Assuming she is eating the oyster shell, how long does it take for the egg shells to harden back up?

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Eggs that are stuck inside her are a danger. However, you have already taken the necessary steps to fix this. Though Soft eggs are usually a calcium problem sometimes it can be from other minerals and vitamins. I would suggest adding some electrolytes to her water. Hopefully this will clear this up in a few days.

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    When my ducks first started laying, one of them laid 6 soft shelled eggs on 6 consecutive days. I thought for sure she had a issue with her equipment but it settled down after a couple of weeks and she is laying regular eggs like a trooper now.

6. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Quote:Source for electrolytes? Feed store or ? Will it hurt the other ducks to add it to the community water or should I separate her from the others?

She had been laying perfectly normal eggs until the last week. I have been surprise that all the hens have had such hard shelled eggs - even when they first started laying. This is the first problem we have had.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Quote:Source for electrolytes? Feed store or ? Will it hurt the other ducks to add it to the community water or should I separate her from the others?

She had been laying perfectly normal eggs until the last week. I have been surprise that all the hens have had such hard shelled eggs - even when they first started laying. This is the first problem we have had.

You can get them from the feed store but they even have them at walmart. It won't hurt the others it would actually benefit everyone. Egg laying issues can happen pretty rapidly. I've tend to encounter more issues in the winter than any other season [​IMG]

8. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Two days of oyster shells and everything is back to normal. [​IMG]

9. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010