1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying song

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raro, Sep 13, 2010.

1. raro

raro Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    My hens always do the "I laid an egg" squawking song, but the other day I went out and there was nothing in the nest. I looked and didn't find anything. Either she is reeeeeally good at hiding them...or do they sometimes sing the song without laying?!

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Yes, chickens like to mess with our heads. Works, doesn't it?

3. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    [​IMG]

Yes- they drive me crazy with it! Sometimes it sounds like a "chorus" they are all going off and I think I'm going to have a nest FULL of eggs, only to find nothing- nada- even when I've seen them in the nest "setting" for a loooooong time.

4. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Mine sing the song when one wanders away from the group and they can't see each other (the girls are VERY attached). MY BO also sang her song yesterday after a cat chased her out of the yard. She disappeared for an hour (while I looked frantically for her) and all of the sudden I hear the egg song. I ran back to the coop and there she was at the gate begging to be let back in with her sisters [​IMG]

My favorite though: When one of the other girls lays and sings her song my BO joins in excitedly to help celebrate. SO cute [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by