??? Laying soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by saltnprepper, Apr 20, 2012.

1. saltnprepper

saltnprepper Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been waiting and waiting and waiting and today I heard my chickens making a loud racket. They were cackling like I have never heard. When I went out to check on them I saw three of the 4 out side and they were clucking like never before. I got scared for a second and went to find number 4. She was in the coop in the nest. When I looked in she hopped out to greet me. I was so disappointed to have interrupted her. She is my EE and I am hoping so much now that I may get an egg!

What do you all do with your first eggs. I think I want to blow mine empty and save it.

2. saltnprepper

She did it!! She laid an egg!

[​IMG]
    The blue egg is our first, the brown is a store bought egg. I wanted blue eggs from my EE so bad. I am so very excited! There she sits proudly on the microwave with the coffee and tea. The trio of life Coffee Tea and Eggs!

3. GertrudeLover01

GertrudeLover01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Murfreesboro, TN
    WOW!! congratulations!! How old is she??

4. saltnprepper

25 weeks, she is the first to lay. I have a barred rock, wyondotte and australorp all the same age. She is the lowest in the pecking order. All her sister hens sung praise for her! It was so cool.

5. GertrudeLover01

Mar 20, 2012
    Murfreesboro, TN
    okay, thanks... mine are 22 weeks and I have an ameraucana, production red, and barred rock. I am expecting my production red to lay soon... any tips?? What did you do?
    Thanks again!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  6. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Congrats! my red star was the first to lay and she was at the bottom, this put her right at the top from then on out it was very obvious! we ate the first egg, but I completely UNDERSTAND your desire to save the first one!

have fun :)

7. GertrudeLover01

Mar 20, 2012
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Hey everyone my first egg was on friday!!!!! It was right there in the nesting box! I am so proud! I think it was my production red.... i am so excited!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by