Laying Time and Location

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by radarloves, Aug 21, 2013.

1. radarloves

radarloves Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2013
    My hen just started laying about five days ago. She insists on laying at about noon and in the dog house. I have tried to guide her to the hen house and have tried not letting them out too early, yet she insists on laying in the dog house. The hen house has straw as well as the dog house. The hens free range on the property and this morning I have watched her try and find a place to nest. Does anyone know why she is not nesting in the hen house or why at noon? I have tried to make the coop as comfortable as possible, yet she prefers the dog house. The dog is in the house when she lays.

2. whitt910

whitt910 Out Of The Brooder

I'm not for sure why she prefers the dog house, but my hens don't lay in the morning either. They lay between 11-2 in the afternoon and sometimes some later than that. I think it's pretty common for them to lay during the afternoon from what I have read. Have you tried maybe putting golf balls or an "egg" in the nest boxes and that way she knows this is where her eggs are suppose to go.

3. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd put a ceramic egg in the nest box and keep her in the coop/run area for a couple of days. Perhaps let her out late afternoon for an hour or so of foraging. After a couple of days, she may decide that the nest box works well after all. Any way to move the dog house somewhere that she's not able to access it for a week or so?
    As for timing, mine lay about an hour and a half to two hours later each day until it's late afternoon then skip the next day. So they've laid anywhere from 7am to 5pm. I work from home, so I can hear the egg song. Today the entire flock of 5 was singing away, like they were rooting little Sophie on! "You go girl..you can do it!"

4. radarloves

radarloves Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2013
    I will try the golf ball and see if that works. As for the dog house, I can close it off or put the dog out and keep her away from the dog area. She did lay her first egg in the hen house. I will try the golf ball to see if she figures out that is where she is suppose to lay. Should have another hen laying soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by