Laying under kids toys? Updated with PICS

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mochicken, Sep 21, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    So I have some barred rocks and some buff orps that are the same age, I knew they were about the right age to start laying but I have not taken them out of the "chick coop" which does not have egg boxes and have stalled on putting them in the adult coop. They free range during the day together and get along fine, I guess I dont want to believe my babies are growing up lol.

Today I was mowing and moved my sons swingset to mow, as I did I heard a hen yelling at me so I stopped and looked down and she was under the slide on a nest of 12 EGGS lol, unfortunately I didnt know how old they were so I trashed them, now I have to put them in the adult coop and try to convince them that they should be there lol. I put the one that was laying in the adult coop and locked her in there today, I went back 20 minutes later and she was laying in the nesting box but didnt lay an egg, I am guessing she had already laid her egg in her under slide nest?

Either way lol, so the best thing to do probably is get them after they go to roost in their coop tonight and put them in the adult coop on the roost so they wake up there and not let them out to free range for a couple days till they get used to it? I only have 5 in that age group, 3 barred and 2 buffs.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I went back 20 minutes later and she was laying in the nesting box but didnt lay an egg, I am guessing she had already laid her egg in her under slide nest? if she is in the nest tomorrow she may have gone broody

Either way lol, so the best thing to do probably is get them after they go to roost in their coop tonight and put them in the adult coop on the roost so they wake up there and not let them out to free range for a couple days till they get used to it? Yes that should work

way to go for your hens [​IMG] and you

3. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yep right after I typed this I walked out and they were in the fenced in run, I baited them with B.O.S.S and picked them up and carried them to the other fenced run with the big coop, they are in the run at the fence staring toward their old coop and run mad at daddy for not letting them go sleep in their own beds lol.

I am actually in the process of building a new coop, 12x20 with enough space for all of my 16 pullets and 2 roos, that will eliminate any future problems, I just wanted to make sure everyone had enough room to move around.

If I only leave them in the coop and run for a couple days do you think they will remember their old coop and keep trying to return? I am guessing that maybe one or more of the others is also laying and I have just not found their treasure nest just yet lol.

PS if she is locked up each night and not setting on her eggs all day then she would not be broody right? I have only had chickens for a limited time and when the one I had went broody she NEVER left the nest, I had to take her food and water lol.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  4. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I cooped them up from last night until just now, no eggs all day from any of the 5 that I locked up, I dont know if they are on strike now or what lol. I let them free range for a lil bit to see where they went, the barred rock went right to the nest that I destroyed yesterday and the other four took off. I dont know if they are laying in nests somewhere too as I have not found any of their nests, I chased after them but all they did was go chasing grasshoppers so they may not be laying yet.

5. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I got an email from another BYC member saying to put an egg in the laying box and put her on it, it worked, 30 minutes later we had a cute lil pullet egg. Judging by the size and candling it I dont believe it has a yolk but a cute lil egg it is

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by