Laying while roosting

gardoqui

Chirping
Aug 7, 2015
North Hampton NH
one of our red sex links was laying in a nesting box but for last two weeks drops a egg while roosting at night. Why and how Can I get her back in box? Egg is not warm in morning so she’s laying way before the sun comes up or late at night.

Put a couple eggs in the box and place her in it. Sorry if this doesn't help, I never had to train mine. I got lucky, my chickens first eggs were in the nesting box!

Wait, is she new at laying? Does she know the other chickens lay in the nesting box? Her schedule might just be at that time. My chickens always lay around the same time everyday, around 11:00. She might just lay around roosting time. Has she ever stayed in the roost after you let her out? Or has she ever went in the roost early and laid an egg?

I had one that would randomly lay in the chicken run or poop board, but all other times were in the nesting box. It is like she couldn’t make it to the box in time. I don’t know, because I never saw her do it.

I had one that would randomly lay in the chicken run or poop board, but all other times were in the nesting box. It is like she couldn’t make it to the box in time. I don’t know, because I never saw her do it.
Strange. And what breed is she? And what breed lays in the run?

The egg may have stuck to her fluffy bottom while it was still wet and she just moved from the nesting box to another place when the egg fell out

So, that means she has strong feathers? Wow now I really want to m ow that breed!
They have been great layers. And I would get at least 6 eggs a week from each hen. She is 5 pounds.
7593E5BD-2EB1-47A3-AE39-FA03D29631BD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom