Laying Without Males

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by quailraiser16, Oct 20, 2014.

1. quailraiser16

quailraiser16 New Egg

Oct 20, 2014
    Hi Guys!

I'm a newbie here i just joined BYC last night. [​IMG] [​IMG] it is my first time raising a Japanese Cortunix. I wish everyone could give suggestions,comments & answers. [​IMG] Last 2 weeks ago i bought 100 quails, 2 are males the rest are females and the raiser told me that they're already a month old. and then last week my neighbor's dog attacked they're coop and there we're only 4 Females left none of the males survived. [​IMG] after a few days of that incident i noticed that my females are laying eggs until today, WITHOUT MALES. i was wondering if these eggs will hatch or not. [​IMG]

AGAIN as i said this is my first time of raising these guys so i don't know if these eggs will hatch. i wanted to buy another batch of quails but i was thinking that if females could reproduce on their own and then build my own homemade incubator, why would i bother to buy another batch what if i made a mistake and just wasted electricity for nothing. [​IMG] i really need a counseling here. [​IMG]

2. DesertChickens1

DesertChickens1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2014
    Marana, Arizona
    Hello and welcome to BYC!!! So sorry to hear about you quail :( as for your question, I believe that females can still have fertile eggs up to 3-4 weeks after the males are gone, I could be off by some bit I know its at least a week. But with out males, no, the females can't hatch any eggs after a few weeks. Hope you get some new quail and good luck in your poultry adventures !!!

3. quailraiser16

quailraiser16 New Egg

Oct 20, 2014
    so even without a male, female can produce eggs but not fertile ones?

4. DesertChickens1

DesertChickens1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2014
    Marana, Arizona
    Right! They'll lay eggs at their normal rate (around 300 per year if I'm not mistakes) you just can't hatch them

5. Hilacraft

Hilacraft Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    United States
    They dont need males to lay eggs... Common Misconception.. [​IMG]

6. quailraiser16

quailraiser16 New Egg

Oct 20, 2014
    Thanks for the info guys! [​IMG] it was very helpful! [​IMG]

7. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    They could be fertile for a while after they mated like Desert chickens1 said, so if you have gotten eggs in the past week they may be fertile and could develop if incubated. I would try it! It is hard to say how long they might lay fertile eggs after the attack. So sorry you lost all those birds!!

8. quailraiser16

quailraiser16 New Egg

Oct 20, 2014
    yeah i feel bad remembering that accident. [​IMG] anyway i'll just try to move on and buy another batch. but this time i'll do better. thanks for your advices! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by