1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying yolks without shells?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lengel, Jun 6, 2008.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    We got eight older hens a couple of months ago. As far as I can tell, they aren't all necessarily laying, but at least six are at this point.

Last week I found a yolk in the coop. It almost looked soft boiled. I assumed that the hens had eaten the shell but for some reason left the yolk. Didn't think anything of it.

Then, today, I'm wading through hens, trying to get out of the enclosure without stepping on anyone and I here a plopping sound. Suddenly, everyone grouped around a hen and started pecking at the ground. She had layed a yolk without a shell right there and everyone was eating it.

Any ideas? I looked around the forum but could only find threads that brought up similar things but not quite the same.

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

If it looks cooked, she might have become an internal layer...
    But if it's just got no shell you'll need to provide oyster shell for them. I also put apple cider vinegar in the water or you can give her a Tums.

3. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I have been giving them oyster shell but it may be that the others aren't letting her get to it. I'll step up the availability.

What is an internal layer? Today's didn't look cooked.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  4. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Did the eegg look like this -

[​IMG]

My hen layed two eggs like this.

5. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
  6. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    We didn't get that deposit thing but I'm wondering if maybe that comes out later. I think it's interesting that the yolk has gone from a cooked look to raw so maybe she's just working it out?

We've gone from three eggs a day to up to seven and a yolk so they are certainly feeling better. They were kind of mess when we got them . . .

Thank you everyone. I'll step up the oyster shells and keep an eye on them. I don't even know which one did it. They were so close together at the time.

7. Jillylam

Jillylam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    Kingwood, NJ
    Here is a link to some info on one of mine that had a problem with her eggs. She couldn't form the shell. She would sometimes just lay yolks and sometimes the first covering would come out sort of stringy and white, but could no longer put the outer shell on. I have no experience with chickens beyond age 2, but could it be that her duct work is just not functioning properly anymore due to age? The other thing to consider is if she is taking in enough calcium then could there be a reason her body is not actually absorbing it. But if she is otherwise in good health then that's probably not the problem. Good luck and let us know how she does.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22773

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I've got a couple of older hens and it seems they give these weird eggs when they start and end a laying cycle. Sometimes it will be an egg yolk or a soft-shelled egg. They have oyster shells and the rest of their eggs seem nice and strong. I just think they are just like US old gals...sometimes the ol' works are just a little off kilter! [​IMG]

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

My old hen Obelisk laid a couple in a row like that. I put out the oyster shell, added Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother in the water and gave her a Tums...and the shells are firming up again.

10. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Quote:Oh no. Tums! DH is going to lose it laughing if I start in with Tums.

On the other hand, he insisted that the yogurt be organic . . . [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by