Laying ?

Ponte

Songster
Apr 4, 2019
Miami Florida
BB16E2F8-74FA-40DF-B9FB-2350BC777D12.jpeg
Short of watching a hen lay eggs, is there a way to know if she is laying.
I have a fairly large city lot with many trees, bushes and a very long hedge so am wandering if my hens are not using the nesting box and laying eggs somewhere else.
They are Buff Orpington’s 24 weeks old with very red combs. A have put them in the nesting boxes a few times thinking that it may help.
Am attaching a picture of one.

If you can get close enough, put your hand over her back (not touching) and see if she squats. If so, chances are shes hiding them somewhere. 24 wks without an egg would be a stretch for a BO. The few I've had from different strains were in the 18-20 wk range. Good luck on the search!

aart has written a very clear article on who is laying and who is not - intended for precisely this question!
Here's some tips about how to tell....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

If you have an attached run on your coop, keep her penned up for 2-3days. That will help you figure it out.
Yes, this^^^
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Aart you are a chicken guru,
Truly appreciate the time given to share your knowledge.
The chickens have been locked up in the aviary the past two days due to the house being termite tented, hopefully we will find an egg by tomorrow,

Like @Punkybrewster said, I would recommend penning them up for a few days and you should see if she lays then
Came by the house today to check on the girls, two where very active trying to get out of the aviary, one was squatting, not getting up. Thought I might have timed it perfect and would find an egg when she got up, I was wrong.
They have been locked up almost three days now and no eggs, maybe they are still too young.

Back
Top Bottom