laying???

nicoletm24

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
Timberlake
I have 3 brown leghorns, 2 EEs, 1 Black Astrolourp (sp?) and 1 Buff Cochin....what age do they start laying? i gave away all my old hens (that weren't laying but 1 egg a day out of 7 of them), and I'm anxiously waiting to see a green egg pop up
gig.gif

I got tired of feeding the oldies and not getting eggs. So, now with a whole new crew....when can I expect to see some results? The leghorns are at LEAST 6 months old. They are the most wild and skiddish birds I've ever seen...very wild and un tame. the others raised from just a week old, and they are great. but they are about 4 months i think.

any ideas would be great. I'm hoping one day I'll go in there and it'll be like Christmas...I'll have all sorts of diff eggs, haha.
lau.gif

I Got my flock in May, around the 20th or so. I am not expecting Eggs till November. Maybe they will lay one on my Sons 3rd birthday (Nov. 28), that would be very cool.

I think its about 20 weeks or so for most breeds, those leghorns of yours should start soon, I think I read somewhere that they take a bit longer to mature than smaller breeds... Although I may be confusing them with Jersey Giants.

idk if that helped you any or not, lol but I tried
smile.png

The leghorns should start soon, they mature a little faster and the general range is 16-23 weeks. The others ones are in the 23-29 week zone. Of course, that is just an average. They could start earlier or go later. Unforuately there is no difine answer, you just have to wait. A couple signs to look for are deepening color of the comb, doing the "squat" when you bend down to touch them, widening of the pelvic bones. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom