1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Elakr1, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Elakr1

Elakr1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    I have 4 Bobwhites in a 8x16 ft enclosure. One rooster and three hens. They are arounds nine months old.I thought they should be laying by now, but nothing. They are feed a game bird food and are given plenty of fresh water. They also have a 3x6ft coop to go in and out freely. Anyone with ideas why no eggs yet?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Bobs are seasonal layers and will lay when the light and temp causes their breeding season to kick in. I don't know where you are in the country, but breeding season should be around the corner. My bobs usually start laying in mid April and stop sometime in late Sept, early Oct.

Good luck!

3. Elakr1

Jun 18, 2011
    Thanks, I got home from work a couple hours ago and had a male bobwhite trying to get into the run. Loved hearing him call to the three hens. They were running around trying to get with him. I am in North Florida.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You should be seeing eggs really soon!! My bobs are already getting territorial, but not laying yet. We had snow today!!! UGH!

5. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Give them light from sundown maybe 3hrs extra that will get them kicked off.It should be mild enough temps there by now...cva34

6. Elakr1

Jun 18, 2011
    Ok, so I have added a light till 9 pm each evening. Still no eggs.
    Should I be feeding them something different then the game food?
    Would love to get some eggs, but with the price of feed, the Bobs are starting to look like dinner.

7. Elakr1

Jun 18, 2011
    Well after adding a light to the run and giving the quail 17 hrs of light the started laying. in the past three weeks they have laid 40 eggs.
    thanks everyone for the advice.

8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by