1. courtney shaffe

courtney shaffe New Egg

Dec 9, 2013
    We use layena and since the molt in late summer, our hens have not laid a single egg. What could be our problem?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Can you give more information...

What ages are your hens? What breeds are they? Do they seem healthy and active otherwise? Are they pen kept, or do they free range (in other words, is there ANY chance they could be laying elsewhere?)? Any extra info that you think might be helpful...

3. courtney shaffe

courtney shaffe New Egg

Dec 9, 2013
    I have 24 hens and one rooster. I have checked all over the property to see if they were laying elsewhere. Their ages range from 8 months to 2 years. I have a good mixture of brown egg layers.

4. DrMikelleRoeder

DrMikelleRoeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2014
    Are you providing at least 16 hourse of light per day? Without it, they will not lay.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Do you have a run? If so, I might contain them for a week or so just to be sure eggs aren't being hidden. As drmikelle mentioned, egg production is generally really low at this time of year due to such short days. But at least some of your girls are young enough to lay at least an egg or two a week, even without supplementing light (assuming they have good nutrition available).

I'm wondering if it's possible that you have an egg eater?? Or an egg eating predator??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by