Layinnggg eggs and flairing tempers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sarahjane, Sep 7, 2008.

1. sarahjane

sarahjane New Egg

Sep 7, 2008
    I am a first timer at raising chickens! like every day I go out to their coop and look for eggs the hens are almost 6 months and today finally they laid their first egg I was so excited I couldnt believe it. Do rhode island red hens have a temper or what everytime i go in the coop they sound mad? does that have to do with them laying eggs

2. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    My RIR's are very sweet. Maybe it's something else.

3. sarahjane

sarahjane New Egg

Sep 7, 2008
    any advice

4. Chamelle

Chamelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    Sarahjane,

Almost all of my hens have just started laying in the last few weeks. A few of them make a ton of noise during AND after they've laid an egg. They do sound annoyed, but I think they're just showing off. They squack and carry on whether I'm in the ccop or not.

There's another sound I've heard them make when I disturb one while she's in the nesting box. Kind of a trilling sound. I've never heard them make that noise until I reached in to pet one when she was getting ready to lay her egg. I pet them anyway... and they lay anyway!

5. The Squawk Box Fresh Eggs

The Squawk Box Fresh Eggs Out Of The Brooder

if they are mad they will either attack you if u come in the coop or if u come in the coop they will raise their neck feathers up high and lower their wings and "growl" what you hear isnt a "mad" sound; they have a deep sound they make when there either bored or happy.
    if they do get mad at u, show them who is the real alpha hen.

6. sarahjane

sarahjane New Egg

Sep 7, 2008
    the rir are also with some white rocks i was petting one of the white rock hen and the other one pecked me think shes a little protective.

7. sarahjane

sarahjane New Egg

Sep 7, 2008
    if any one can give some chickens language and body language advice that would be great i guess im not to go at interpreting them yet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by