1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Layorca hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fangaddict, Sep 15, 2016.

1. fangaddict

fangaddict Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

Has anyone ever heard of this breed? It is nonwhere on the Internet. I saw this on a poster in a feed store showing breed types.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Looks like a proprietary name the hatchery is assigning their "California Whites" - a cross/mixed breed bird resulting from WL hens under California Grey roosters.

3. fangaddict

Apr 23, 2013
    Thank you. I didn't know hatcheries did that.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It's fairly common with the hybrids - you also see it a lot with red and black sex links which get sold as red stars, golden buffs, golden comets, cinnamon queens, black stars, etc. Since they aren't actual "breeds" and their actual names aren't as fun/sexy sounding the hatcheries like to dress them up a bit (sort of like all the ridiculous names being assigned to mixed breed, "designer" dogs these days)

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, it looks like a Leghorn based hybrid. And the name sounds made up. Look on the poster and see what hatchery it came from.

6. fangaddict

Apr 23, 2013
    It was at a feed store in woodville, tx. I was out there visiti g family. Next visit ill check. Yet another great excuse to gonto the feed store!!!!i cant pass up a tractor supply either!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by