1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Layout of Coop that is 3'x10'

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mary, May 24, 2007.

1. Mary

Mary New Egg

May 24, 2007
    Hi. I am glad I found this forum! We are planning on setting up and framing in a small hen house in part of a 10x10 ft run in shelter. (Roof, corner posts, no solid sides yet) I can only spare about 3 to 3/12 ft by 10 ft deep of the run in so the lambs can still use the other space for a creep feeding. I want to have 4 hens at the most, and plan to attach a yard to the hen house for added leg room. With these narrow and deep dimensions, what would be the best layout? Nests on the 3' end? I want to enclose it, but put in a few windows for summer ventilation too. My kids really want nest boxes that they can access from outside, too. We'll see. Is this confusing?

2. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    I would put the roosts at one end and the nest boxes at the other & then the waterer/feeder in the middle.

3. Mary

Mary New Egg

May 24, 2007
    Thanks! That is what I was thinking, but wanted to be able to possibly have one end more open with a window, so that I could see them from the barn and see what was going on in the house. So I may just do that at the roost end, and somehow close up the window in cold weather. They would be ok roosting in front of a window, wouldn't they?

4. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    Should be, as long as you have some strong wire nailed to the inside in case a large predator breaks the glass to get in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by