Lays an egg every 2 days

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Olive, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Olive

Olive Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2007
    Cedar Rapids, Ia
    My BO hens are just starting to lay. I have 3 BO's that are 21 weeks. One hen has been laying an egg everyday. My second hen only lays an egg every two days. The third hen, I still waiting for her to lay. Is it normal for a hen to lay every two days or should I start looking outside under the evergreens?

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it takes awhile for them to get 'regular.' Mine even had several false starts for the first few weeks. BUT it sure wouldn't hurt to have a look around if they get to free range. Good luck!

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    One hen has been laying an egg everyday. My second hen only lays an egg every two days. The third hen, I still waiting for her to lay. Is it normal for a hen to lay every two days or should I start looking outside under the evergreens?

Not every pullet reads the Chicken Rules. Some dont lay regular, ever, some go broody in an instant and so are off and on and some just lay like a steamroller - unstoppable.
    Let them get going for a month or so and see what you get. But I would suggest you encourage them to lay in a coop or nest box. That is if you actually wan to COLLECT eggs.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by