Lays on wire

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by waterouzel, Jan 23, 2013.

1. waterouzel

waterouzel Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2008
    I have a golden comet that refuses to use a nest box. My nest boxes are standard size, dark and filled with pine shavings. My other hens use them without fail. The golden comet lays on the suspended chicken wire beneath the roost. My coop has a single roost that is 18 inches above chicken wire so manure will fall through to the ground. It is exactly the kind of situation one would place a hen in to break her of broodiness. It is bare wire, open at the bottom, well lit and cold. At first I thought she was dropping an egg every night from the roost but since have caught her at in the middle of the day. Anyone had a similar experience?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I'm a little confused, is it a wire box under the roost or just a line of wire? Either way, I think I would remove the wire or move it to a different location in the coop. If the manure falls thru to the ground, it doesn't act as a poop board, and I'd think if its a cage under the roost the broody would be getting pooped on. But I may have just read too much into your post. Moving it down so its below the nests might convince her to put the eggs where you want them...good luck.
    Nikki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by