Lazer Temperature gun?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chukwheat, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Hello everyone,
    I had a quick question about using a lazer temp gun for egg temps in the bator. The temp gun measures surface temp so I can measure the actually egg temp. Does anyone else use one, Will it harm the the eggs or chicks inside. I assume we want the egg itself to be between 99°-102°, the same temps i want my incubator if i was measuring the temp with a bulb thermometer? Measuring the egg temps seem more accurate then measuring air temps if so, what's the optimum eggs temp supposed to be?

2. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    I have one. I used it on the eggs a few times in the beginning but I didn't really care for it. I'm sure it didn't hurt the babies.

3. DAYDRINKER

DAYDRINKER Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Doodletown, NY
    I just started setting a full incubator. I suspected 10 of them were not fertile and these 10 show 95 degrees with the laser after 2 days. The rest of the eggs show 100 deg. I wonder if the laser thermometers are good for finding eggs that are not developing.

4. Henny

Henny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Northeast
    That is a great question. It would be real interesting if you kept track of this during your incubation. I would love to know the outcome.

5. DAYDRINKER

Feb 19, 2011
    Doodletown, NY
    I'm trying to keep track. The difficulty is that those surface temps start changes within moments of opening the 'bator.

6. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    I was having temp problems and after using 8 different thermometer sand hubbys meters and temp gun. I found the temp gun would read way high after I took the lid off the incubator and didn't agree witha nay thermometer, but after the eggs cooled a bit it read the same as the thermometers and the medical touch digital one. I think it was getting the humid air rising or something... so I gave it back to hubby, it was too far off and then it would change rapidly...FWIW

7. DAYDRINKER

Feb 19, 2011
    Doodletown, NY
    thanks. I was not so happy do to, like you said, as soon as the lids is off the wheel temps start changing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by