Laziest and Most Cowardly Four Chickens Ever

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joebryant, Dec 7, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

My three blue Orpington hens and rooster have to be the world's four laziest of all chickens. They get on the roost before six in the evening, and they won't come off the roost the next day until after 11:30 A.M. It snowed early yesterday morning. I though that they'd never come out of the coop, and when they did, they stayed on the sand in the run where the snow couldn't get; they spent all day sitting on the 2x4's that surround their dust bath container. They're doing the same thing today. The run gate is open, and both Anne and I have called for them, but they won't budge. They must think that the snow is going to gobble them up. It's not going to be the snow though that gobbles them up if they don't start laying pretty soon. They'll be 30 weeks old Wednesday, and STILL no eggs. They're going in the pot as soon as I talk Anne into ringing their necks.

2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwww, give the pretty blue Orps a break. I wouldn't let my chooks out yesterday. It was snowing, cold and windy to boot. I didn't want my second roo to get stuck outside, which would have happened if I left a door opened, and didn't want anyone to get frostbite. This is their 3rd day closed into their 3 room complex. Do you have extra light on them or any extra heat?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Hahahaha! Maybe they are having a delightful time tormenting you and plan to hold out on eggs until spring. [​IMG]

4. joebryant

Quote:If that's their plan, it's working. SPRING? ARG!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They should make some fantastic stew.

6. joebryant

Quote:Naa, I figure that if they freeze, I'll just throw them in the freezer until Anne can get around to cleaning them. They do have a heavily insulated coop though with good ventilation. <br>BTW, since you're in central Indiana, drop in sometime. We're near Center Grove H.S. in Johnson County.<br> [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  7. joebryant

Quote:I need recipes, FAST!

8. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    That's a nice sturdy looking coop Joe. Have you tried throwing some scratch grains out for them to get them to move further?

9. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Naa, I figure that if they freeze, I'll just throw them in the freezer until Anne can get around to cleaning them.

[​IMG]

10. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    Ok Joe- Don't take this to personal just have to say-- [​IMG]

So who's being lazy here- give them poor chickens extra light a 40 watt bulb will do the trick and are they getting a good scratch grain? How bad do ya want eggs? Or would stew be just as good. Don't clean em Anne!! [​IMG]

When was the last time you ran around in the snow bare foot. HAHA!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by