Lazy cockerel?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by candemaye, May 15, 2016.

1. candemaye

candemaye Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2015
    Any ideas why my 11 week old cockerel lays down any chance he gets. I've even seen him laying and eating. He's alert of what's around him, he'll get up if he needs to. I've checked him over and don't see any reason why he would need to lay down-feet, legs, body all looks good. He is a fair amount larger than even his "brother" is, could that be why? Any ideas to remedy this? I've included a picture just to show you. He's doing a bit of a sunbathing lean in this though he's in the shadows. Normally he just hunkers down like a hen sitting the nest.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  2. chixcoop

chixcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2015
    Western Mass
    Strange, does he get up if you walk near him?

3. candemaye

candemaye Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2015
    Yup, gets up running. He doesn't want anything to do with being caught. I've snagged him a few different times to force a check up on him but see nothing out of the ordinary. Just seems lazy

Just for more info, I have seen him eating feed, drinking, picking at the ground and doing normal chicken things. Just if the flock stick to one spot for more than a couple minutes he plops down until they've moved to far off, then he'll chase them down, do some scratching and then sit back down. There are a total of three cockerels, all the same age. Two Easter eggers and one barred rock. The barred rock has taken the more alert, guard dog role, the other EE is the muscle rounding up hens when needed and this dude, El Magnifico is apparently acting as the mafia boss-sitting on his haunches and occasionally calling out a command lol.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  4. Chickenmanjim7

Chickenmanjim7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    Aberdeen, Washington
    Seems just lazy. My chickens have been doing that in their run lately

5. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    It sounds like he is just bottom rung of the ladder with not much to do but hang out and take life easy. As long as he is eating and drinking I would not worry to much about him. He is just enjoying the sun.

1 person likes this.
  6. chixcoop

chixcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2015
    Western Mass
    What I was thinking, if macho man has it taken over it is okay for him to relax.

7. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by